Personally, I am a cracker fiend. Saltines, Club, Ritz, Animal, you name it, I’ll eat it. But I do have a special place in my heart for frosted animal crackers.
You know what I’m talking about…the bright pink and white misshapen ‘animals’ (more like delicious blobs, nonetheless) that are drowning in tiny, colorful sprinkles? I’m sure there has been a time or two where you intended on “just having a couple” to only find yourself ten minutes later with an empty bag and a healthy dose of regret.
Well, that’s fine. In my defense, those bags are usually half filled with air anyway so it’s not really that excessive.
Anyway, if it isn’t yet noted, you’ll quickly learn that I have an everlasting love affair with cookie dough. Any kind. I’m partial to chocolate chip and peanut butter & M&M, but I thought experimenting with sugar cookie dough would be a fun new addition to expand my horizons…and what better way to test this out than to combine it with those frosted animal crackers??
This was an experimental recipe changed around from the original recipe from Beyond Frosting, and it was a fun thing to play around with…These probably have enough of a sugar kick to get you over the Wednesday hump, revive you after Thirsty Thursday, and push you through an unmotivated Friday – use at your own discretion.
Animal Cracker Cookie Dough Bars
1½ cup Frosted Animal Cracker cookies + 1/2 cup to sprinkle on top
2 sticks softened unsalted butter
¾ cup Granulated sugar
¾ cup Light brown sugar
2 cups All-purpose flour
½ tsp Salt
¼ cup Milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ cup Sprinkles
- Crush the animal crackers in a plastic bag until they’re small bits – not complete crumbs, but still smaller than bite sized chunks.
- Cream butter, sugars, salt, and vanilla extract for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Add flour and milk and mix until combined.
- Toss in the crushed cookies and sprinkles and mix until well incorporated.
- Line an 8×8 (or 9×9 depending on how thick you’d like them – I recommend 9×9 because these are super sweet, so you can get away with smaller pieces) with parchment paper and pour dough into the pan.
- Spread the cookie dough evenly in the pan, then chill for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, top with the white chocolate frosting and chill again.
12 oz White chocolate chips
¼ cup Heavy Cream
¼ cup Sprinkles
- Heat heavy cream in microwave for 30 seconds, pour over chocolate chips, and stir until smooth.
- Pour over cookie dough and top with sprinkles and crushed animal cracker bits before chilling for another 1 hour.